Saturday, July 18, 2009

Toh-Dam Tofu Korean Restaurant - Suwanee

Tofu for dinner. It's actually a hot tofu soup but not the traditional tofu texture -- it has a silky, extra smooth tofu. In Korean it's called "Soon" Tofu. The Toh-Dam Tofu restaurant specializes in "soon" tofu.

The restaurant is located inside a shopping center. I have to say, what's with all the lexuses? I see them all too frequently and I personally do not think I would buy one of them even if I had the money. It's just an expensive camry or avalon.


Here's the restaurant --


Menu 1 of 2 --

Menu 2 of 2 --


The "ban-chan" -- the highlight of the "ban-chan" is the fried corvina fish. One of my favorite fish. Too bad it was too small. The big ones are quite expensive if you buy them from the market - about $6.


The other "ban-chan" -- I liked the variety but the portions were a little small.


My main dish -- mushroom soon-tofu hot soup.
Drop in an egg and stir to enhance the flavor. I ordered mild.



This was a seafood soon-tofu. Ordered medium hot.


This is called "neu reung gee" and I don't know how I can best describe it. Post a comment if you want to know more about this. You dig into this after you finish your main dish.


The receipt -- It was for dinner so I give at least 20% for tip. If the service is good the maximum I give is 30%. On this trip, the service was good in the beginning but then service was nowhere to be seen as we were having our meal up until the time the waitress brought us the check. I liked the food so I gave 20% tip but service needs to be improved. By the way, TIP is always on the amount BEFORE tax. Tipping on the amount after tax does not make any sense since you are not getting any service for the tax.



My ratings --
Food: 5 out of 5
Service: 3 out of 5 (read above)
Atmosphere: 3 out of 5 (kind of a small place...)

-도시

2 comments:

  1. How many americans were there?
    Do they like tofu's flavor?
    When foreigns love korean food or korean culture, I feel so great.
    I've heard that foreigns don't like fried rice cake(with the red pepper paste)'s texture.
    So I'm concerned about how they think about tofu's texutre and flavor.
    and tax system doesn't seem easy to me~

    ReplyDelete
  2. Tofu is considered a health food in America. Many vegetarians eat it and you can buy Tofu in most grocery stores. Even in many restaurants you can get tofu. For example, in Moe's they have a "Tofu Burrito". So I would say many Americans know about Tofu and those who are health conscious eat it often. I haven't seen any american not liking tofu.

    In this restaurant, everytime I go I could see a few (3-5) americans.

    ReplyDelete